Sunday, September 11, 2011

Green Mango Spinach Curry. Yum:-)

 
I'm telling ya--healthy eating and happy cooking doesn't get any better than this! My culinarily gifted friend Mariam taught me how to make this curry last year, and ever since I have been trying to get mine to taste exactly the way she prepares it. I think I finally got it. It is bursting with flavor and aromas and colors that really tempt the chef and partakers alike. Here's how I made it:
1. Make rice (or noodles) and keep warm.  Any kind of rice will do.  Brown rice is, of course, a healthier choice.
2. Grind fresh fennel seeds in a mortar & pestle like this marble one I have:
Bought this at Kitchen & Company, one of my favorite places to shop.
3. Heat up toasted sesame oil in a large pan. Add fennel and toast fennel golden brown. This really amps up the flavor, and it smells amazing!
4. Add 1/2 tsp. turmeric, a pinch of cayenne pepper (more if you like a lot of heat), 1tsp onion flakes, a clover or two of minced garlic, a vegan chicken style boullion cube, and 2 tsp green curry paste (I like Thai Kitchen brand). Add a few splashes of water to keep things moist.
5. Toss in whatever protein & veggies you are using. I used frozen organic peas and spinach, fresh mango slices, and slices of Morningstar Farm Chicken Style Patties. I added some chopped cilantro to add more flavor at this point.
6. Add 10 oz. coconut milk, stir, remove from heat.
7. Splash 1-2 TB fresh squeezed lime juice over top.
8. Sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro. Serve over rice or noodles & enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment