Friday, December 30, 2011

Smoked Black Bean & Cilantro Lime Rice Burritos

I ordered this burrito at Chipotle Mexican Grill for the first time a few months ago.  It was delicious!  I have been thinking about that burrito for a while and decided to try to see if I might be able to replicate the flavor in my own kitchen.  I doubted my palate memory from months ago, but I purchased all the ingredients that I remember tasting in that burrito--and I didn't do too bad!

I love really fresh, really simple food.  Each of the components of this burrito had to taste just right--the guacamole, the tortillas, the beans, and the rice.  As always, my dog Comet accompanies me stoveside to wait for any dropped morsel.  Anway, the first thing I had to make was guacamole.


Guacamole

2 avocados
2 limes, juiced
1/4 tsp sea salt
Sprinkling of freshly ground black pepper
3-4 TB chopped fresh cilantro

1.  Mash everything in a bowl until combined.

Next, I made the rice.


Cilantro Lime Rice

2 c white rice (you could use brown, but the white is more flavor neutral to let the other flavors shine through)
2 limes, juiced
Sea salt
3 TB chopped cilantro

1.  Cook rice.  Remove from heat.
2.  Toss in other ingredients & stir.
My rice turned out a little sticky, but I found that it kept the grains together for easier burrito assembly.



Smoked Black Beans

3 cans black beans or dried equivalent
Liquid Smoke
Pepper
Salt
Olive oil

1.  Heat olive oil on medium low.  I was happy to do this tonight because I got to try out my new diamond shaped oil cruet:


2.  Add beans.
3.  Start with the liquid smoke and addto taste, little by little until you get the smokiness you like.  I used about 3 tsp.
4.  Add other seasonings to taste.  I probably added 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.



Tortillas

If you've never cooked with these before, you need to soften them up a bit in a pam.  Heat a pan on medium.  Toss one into the pan for 10 seconds and flip for another 10.  I usually prepare all of the tortillas at once and then assemble the burritos together. You don't even need a tortilla though.  The filling tastes great mixed together in a bowl.  Comet, however, LOVES tortillas, and being the spoiled mutt that he is always receives one.  He even manages to catch them when tossed even though his glaucoma has left him mostly blind.



Assembling Your Burrito

1.  Smear one side of a tortilla with guacamole.
2.  Add a stripe of beans.
3.  Add a stripe of rice.

4.  Starting from the top, fold a small flap on one end to create the fold that keeps the filling inside.

5.  Repeat with the other side.


6.  Take the side with the fillings and roll it over.  Keep the fillings tightly inside the roll to seal them in.



7.  Flip the free side over top of the filling side.



Then, you can plate them anyway you like.  I cut one in half so the filling was visible and garnished with cilantro.


I wouldn't cover these with tomato salsa because I think that would overpower the wonderful fresh taste these have.  I love the earthiness of the smoked flavor mingling with the brightness of the fresh cilantro, the creamy spiciness of the guac, and the tartness of the lime juice.  These are so easy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment