Thursday, March 8, 2012

Mexican Eggplant



Like eggplant?  I do!  Over the weekend I made this cheesy casserole and it was quite tasty (well, what I actually got to taste since Jeff ate most of it). 

Ingredients:
2 eggplants
olive oil
pepper
bunch cilantro
enchilada sauce
tomato sauce
cumin
cheese (I like Daiya vegan Mexican)
lime juice

1.  Wash & cut eggplant into 1/4" rounds. 



2.  Place rounds on broiler pan, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with freshly ground pepper.  Broil 8 minutes on each side, or until slightly golden.


3.  Prepare sauce:  Mix 2 cups tomato sauce with 1 c enchilada sauce.  Add a tsp cumin and 2TB lime juice.  Set aside.

Notice the heart-shaped spoon.  These measuring spoons were given to me as a "just because" gift from my dear friend Sandra.

4.  Spread a layer of sauce at the bottom of a 3 qt casserole.  Layer rounds on top.  Sprinkle cheese & chopped cilantro on top.  Repeat with a second layer.
 









5.  Cover with foil.  Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes or until cheese is melted.



No comments:

Post a Comment